Tuesday, July 7, 2009

video art quiz


1)Name an Early artist mentioned in the article for CONCEPTUAL WORK performing in front of the camera.
Describe a work. (2 points)

Les Levine... He did a piece where he went and video taped homeless people in a part of New York City.


2)Name an artist mentioned who deals with PERSONAL NARRATIVE. Describe a work. (2 points)
Bill Viola... The article said that he did a lot of work with single-channels, and also worked with
"technical mistakes" in his piece called Information. With that he could control a bunch of images.

3)Describe the piece you were most interested in viewing after reading this article. Look the work
up on the links, and expand on Rush's comments. (2 points)

I'd have to say that after reading this article, I was interested in seeing the work from the people from
the 1990's, especially after reading the description of Cheryl Donegan's "Head". It sounded very strange, and
I wanted to look for it right away. After I found it and watched, it was just very weird. I guess I didn't
really understand why she did this or anything, besides that she using this as a metaphor and pretty much
showing sex acts without showing sex. Atleast I think that's what she was going for.

4)What do you better understand now about Video Art? (2 points)
I think that people use video art as just an expansion of regular art, and by this I mean that I think using
video art is a way of showing what you're trying to get across, just in more detail.
An image can say a lot, but sometimes it can't say everything that you need or what it to, and because of
that I think that's where video art comes in.


5)Based on Rush and this article, what makes Video Art vs. an "artful video"? (2 points)
I think artful videos are just things that look nice sometimes and didn't have a meaning of any kind. Video
art has a meaning, someone wanted to say or show something. I think that sometimes there might be a blurred
line between the two, but I think there are some videos that are/ should be considered video art because of the concept.

1 comment:

  1. D (6/10)

    #1: Les Levine did not perform in front of the camera. John Baldessari, Howard Fried, Vito Acconci, Joan Jonas, Hannah Wilke, Lynda Benglis, Chris Burden, Peter Campus, Bruce Nauman, William Wegman... did.

    #4: confusing response

    #5: The intentionality of the artist - to make or conceive of something without the constraint of some other purpose… The work is not a product for sale or mass consumption. The aesthetics of video art, as intentionally loose as they may be, demand an artistic starting point from video artists that is akin to the aesthetic enterprise in general. (pp 82-83)

    ReplyDelete