Monday, June 29, 2009

Research for self portrait - Andy Warhol

This self portrait of Andy Warhol is one of the many ones that I found while looking. I think that this one is one of my favorites because I feel like I understand more of what Andy Warhol was about. The idea of pop art, and how he invented it almost single-handedly. This self portrait, in a way, kind of sums up his work, and I think tells about himself. In this self portrait, he uses so many colors that go pretty well together. I think that some times people try to use a lot of color and it looks funny because it's all jammed into one place, but all of these colors flow together nicely. I also really like how it isn't just one print with one picture. I think that it really brings home the feel of pop art and what it's about with the use of multiple images.

I really like this piece for many reasons, one being that I have always really liked Andy Warhol's work. It isn't boring, he has a sense of humor, and he uses a lot of color. I feel like I try to make my work with that as well... I don't want it to be boring, and I like to make things funny because I think their funny. I also really like the color, and the use of so many. I think I relate to that because I never can make up my mind some times between a couple colors, and because of that I some times tend to use them all instead of picking just one. Granted, I'm not really sure that's why there are so many colors in this work, but who knows it could be.


I think that this self portrait does have a lot to do with identity because I think it sums up his work and himself pretty well. Pop art was about taking popular images and making them into art and repeating them. Andy Warhol became famous, and he did to himself what he did with others and other objects. I think that has something to say about how he thought of the world around him.

http://media2.moma.org/collection_images/resized/615/w500h420/CRI_61615.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment